Microbial Carbohydartes For Next Generation Products
- Microorganisms have the potential to influence almost all aspects or our health.
The microbiome is the entire collection of microorganisms living in and on our body. Today, the gut microbiota that makes up 90% of the human microbiota is viewed as a virtual organ that is influencing many aspects of our health including immune, metabolic and neurobehavioral functions.
All this led to the realization that microbiome applications may allow to promote well-being, reduce the risk of diseases and even prevent or cure diseases.
At ACARYON, we dedicated ourselves to unlock the potential of microorganisms to benefit the health and wellness of humans and animals.
- Focus on indication specific mode fo action
At ACARYON, we especially focus on indication specific mode of action and provide our technology and knowhow to support customers in the development of Indication Specific Next Generation Microbime Products (pre- post- probiotics and other microbiome applications).
- Indication specific next generation microbiome products
Contrasting with usual pre- or probiotics, indication specific next generation microbiome products (ISNGMP) do have a known and precise mode of action as well as an indication specific beneficial effect.
Thus, for example in the field of infection, usual probiotics may claim improving the function of the immune system. Contrasting with this an ISNGMP will claim to help preventing a specific infection.
- Microbial Carbohydrates
Microbial carbohydrates are of special interest as tool or as target for the development of ISNGMPs.
Carbohydrates are among the most abundant and diversified component of the surface of microorganisms. Indeed, the diversity of carbohydrate structures that microorganisms may be able to present and/or produce is almost unlimited.
Furthermore, being mostly oriented to the environment they are especially suitable for intra and inter-species interaction, communication and signaling. Finally, carbohydrates can be released into the environment, giving them the further ability to act at distance.
Because of these unique properties microbial carbohydrates became the tool of choice for microorganisms to develop highly specific regulation processes and mode of actions.
Today we know that microorganisms composing the microbiome are especially relying on carbohydrates and carbohydrate binding structures to impact their environment and regulate the microbiome host axis.
Thus, microbial carbohydrates and carbohydrates binding structures are for example deeply involved
- in regulating the composition of the microbiome via:
- their prebiotic (cross feeding) and antibiotic properties
- their central role in the colonization process (binding to host cells and/or to extracellular matrix).
- their central role in microorganism interactions (exclusion, biofilm etc)
- in the development and regulation of the innate and adaptive immune system
- Development and function of immune cells
- Development of natural and antigen-specific antibodies
- in the regulation of metabolic processes (also in distant organs)
- and much more.
- Turn it to our advantage
Microorganisms are relying on carbohydrates and carbohydrate binding structures to impact their environment and regulate the microbiome host axis.
At ACARYON we turn this to our advantage: By combining our MicroSIS-Platform and our deep knowledge on microbial-carbohydrates, we develop unique pre-, post-, and probiotics with highly specific mode of action